Eight dead, 251 injured in Philippine New Year’s Eve incidents

MANILA - Eight people were killed and 251 others injured in celebrations leading up to New Year’s Eve across the Philippines, police said Saturday.

Of the injuries, five were due to stray bullets from guns fired indiscriminately to greet the occasion, police spokesman Senior Superintendent Leopoldo Bataoil said.

Four people were also injured when an improvised bomb exploded in a shopping district in suburban Quezon north of Manila, which was attributed to pranksters.

Seven were killed from a massive fire that gutted a row of fireworks stalls in the town of Bocaue north of Manila on Friday. Another died from injuries sustained from firecrackers.

Most of the other injuries were also related to firecrackers.

Filipinos traditionally explode powerful firecrackers to usher in the New Year in the belief that noise would drive away evil spirits.

Last year there were 21 deaths and 1,200 injuries, mostly because of firecrackers, from the first week of December until January 1, police said.

01/01/2005

Bron : Khaleej Times

Archief - Home