Slain kidnappers in Bataan not part of Sy case: Reyes

By Joel Francis Guinto

THE LEADER of a kidnap gang and four of his members who were killed in a shootout in Bataan province on Thursday were not involved in the abduction and murder of a Chinese-Filipina, anti-kidnapping chief Angelo Reyes said Thursday.

"No. We don't think so," Reyes said in a video footage shown on GMA 7's "Frontpage" when asked whether Roberto Yap and his syndicate were behind the abduction early this week of Coca-Cola executive Betti Chua Sy.
Reyes' response came after President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo announced earlier on Thursday that Yap was responsible for kidnapping Sy.

But in an interview with INQ7.net, Central Luzon police Chief Superintendent Vidal Querol said authorities were still verifying whether Yap had a hand in the killing of Sy, who was found wrapped in a black garbage bag in Parañaque City on Tuesday.

"Our information is not enough, we are coordinating with the PACER (Police Anti Crime and Emergency Response (PACER) and the National Anti-Kidnapping Task Force," Querol said.

Two more suspected members of Yap's gang were arrested in the gunbattle that occurred before dawn Thursday in Dinalupihan town.

Querol said police officer Joselito Esguerra, who was killed, was promoted posthumously and that his family would be given financial assistance.

"We give our full assurance to the family of the dead. He deserves it," Querol said.

Querol added the four policemen who were injured would be given medals for their courage in fighting off the suspects who were reported to have used high-powered firearms against them.

He identified two of the four as Senior Superintendent Jimmy Restua, chief of police of Angeles City in Pampanga province, and Chief Inspector Florentino dela Cruz, Angeles police intelligence officer.

20/11/2003

Bron : Inq7.net

Archief - Home